Antivirus a is software that protect your computer from malicious software that can broke your computer system. Sometimes antivirus software are not free, we need to buy license to keep update the virus database in every period of time.
If you don’t want to use your money, there is free antivirus that you can use freely, but still if you use free antivirus there is much of disadvantages for the antivirus.
Now think, what if you can develop your own antivirus software ? so you can update your database freely and not to worry about buying license every time. You don’t need to make antivirus from the sratch, because there is an open source antivirus that you can download and use it for free. So here is the list for top 5 free and open source antivirus :
ClamAV is the most popular open source antivirus that you can download for free. You can use ClamAV for variety of situations including email scanning, web scanning, and end point security, also ClamAV provides a utilities for a flexible and scalable multi-threaded daemon. Here is features for ClamAV :
- Command-line scanner
- Milter interface for sendmail
- Advanced database updater with support for scripted updates and digital signatures
- Virus database updated multiple times per day
- Built-in support for all standard mail file formats
- Built-in support for various archive formats, including Zip, RAR, Dmg, Tar, Gzip, Bzip2, OLE2, Cabinet, CHM, BinHex, SIS and others
- Built-in support for ELF executables and Portable Executable files packed with UPX, FSG, Petite, NsPack, wwpack32, MEW, Upack and obfuscated with SUE, Y0da Cryptor and others
- Built-in support for popular document formats including MS Office and MacOffice files, HTML, Flash, RTF and PDF
ClamWin is a free and Open source GPL antivirus built by ClamWin Pty Ltd for Microsoft Windows 8/7/Vista/XP/Me/2000/98 and Windows server 2003. This antivirus is based on ClamAV Engine, some source said (Wikipedia) ClamWin is a graphical user interface front end for ClamAV Microsoft Windows. ClamWin is used by more than 600.000 users worldwide. ClamWin comes with open source code (download here), but there is also binary file, if don’t want to compile and install it on your own.
- High detection rates for viruses and spyware.
- Scanning Scheduler.
- Automatic downloads of regularly updated Virus Database.
- Standalone virus scanner and right-click menu integration to Microsoft Windows Explorer;
- Addin to Microsoft Outlook to remove virus-infected attachments automatically.
ClamXav is a free malware scanner for MAC OS X, this ClamXav based on ClamAV as the antivirus back end engine, ClamXav also has the ability to scan and detect any threats for Windows and Mac.
ClamXav has a features called ClamXav Sentry, this features provides the ability to watch every changes on folder to their contents. If you add a folder to watch list and the folder is change, then ClamXav will scan it. If its infected a warning message is displayed, if not, then no further action required.
Moon Secure AV is an open source antivirus based on ClamAV engine, because its fast response and huge AV database. Moon Secure AV is only for Windows, also it has a well written on access virus scanner. I found on the website Moon secure AV Dev team is implementing another engine that is heuristic and will allow users to customize the engine on the fly.
Open Antivirus Project was founded on August 30 2000. Open Source antivirus project is a project that everybody can be involved to create a platform for anti virus software. Open source Antivirus is a platform for people that seriously interested in anti-virus research, network security and computer security. Project that has been working on by Open Source Antivirus Project is :
- ScannerDaemon / VirusHammer / PatternFinder
- squid-vscan (virus canning with squid proxy)
- samba-vscan (on-access virus scanning with Samba)
There is also planned project, if you are interested or need more information you can visit the official website.
That’s all for my post today about top 5 free open source antivirus list that you can download and use it freely, i hope this post help you to find and built your own antivirus. Thank you !